Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Let the gardening season begin!



Today I planted peas. Yes, St. Patty's Day is ridiculously early for outdoor planting in Minnesota and I know its a gamble. But that is OK for a number of reasons.
  1. The first plantings go into large containers. These are above ground and can take advantage of solar gain to warm up earlier than the ground. I can place the containers in locations that get a full day of sun.
  2. I plant peas multiple times in the Spring. This allows for extended harvest, and if I lose the first planting there are more to come.
  3. Its only a dozen seeds.

2 comments:

  1. A dozen seeds will still yield a yummy harvest. I am looking forward to see if they live and to participate in the fruit of your labor.

    Bob Kaufer
    Neuro Performance & Health℠- Powered by Z Health®

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peas in containers sounds like a great idea. I'm gonna get mine started ASAP.

    ReplyDelete