From time to time, I will be featuring news from the community gardens I support. Today, its a SE Como perennial garden, where we convened last weekend to move a tree.
Hmmm a harvest on April 4th? How about harvesting rocks? Once again, there is road construction adjacent to Como Corner Community garden. With road construction comes large piles of dirt which happen to contain a lot of rocks, right along the boulevard. So after moving a black hills spruce tree, we hunted for treasure, rock treasure. This community garden was started in 1992, coincidentally using garden bed edgers collected from street construction remnants. Sixteen years later, more edging material is in order, and what could be better than having them turn up in the street?
The official community gardening season is beginning this month. All garden dates are updated at the SECIA calendar. Upcoming dates for April & early May:
- 4/18 at 10 am at Accord Community Garden, (and then have fun at Como Green Village day in Van Cleve Park!)
- 4/21 at 6:30 at Como Corner
- 4/22 at 6:30pm at Gateway Garden
- 4/26 at 1:30pm at OWLS Community Garden
- 5/5 at 6:30 at Como Corner
- 5/6 at 6:30pm at Gateway Garden- Paint the Chairs Block Party!
- 5/16 at 10 am at Accord Community Garden
- 5/19 at 6:30 at Como Corner
- 5/20 at 6:30pm at Gateway Garden